BUILD ME project
To reach the global objectives of the Paris Agreement on climate change, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions caused by the building sector should be reduced by at least 80% by 2050. Transforming the building sector is one of the major challenges to achieving these targets. While high energy-saving potentials exist, especially in cooling countries of the MENA region, many barriers still exist.
To take a closer look on this matter, BUILD ME project was launched in 2016 increasing ambitions towards achieving climate-neutral building standards in the MENA region. The project aims to achieve this goal by providing technical assistance for pilot projects and facilitating policy dialogue. The project is focusing on Arab Countries namely Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Lebanon, Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia
During its first phase (2016-2018), the project team developed a comprehensive understanding of the barriers to invest in energy efficient or renewable energy-based heating and cooling systems in the region, which led to several recommendations to address these barriers. RCREEEE joined the project team’s lead by Guidehouse.
In its second phase (2019-2021), RCREEE supports the project in implementing, upscaling, and permanently adopting the recommendations developed in the first phase. Accordingly RCREEE will undertake a number of activities including:
- Defining and tailoring list of actions, measures, and attributes for each country.
- Market research and consultation with the partner on action plans.
- Stakeholder mapping
- Drafting a final report on key findings
More details on the project: https://www.buildings-mena.com/
- Sustainable Energy Policies and Technical Support
- Energy Market Research and Knowledge Management
- Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency Private Sector Promotion
- Sustainable Energy Finance and Investment Promotion
- Environmental & Socio-Economic Analysis & Support
- Certification & Standardization Services
- Capacity & Human Development