Senior Environmental Specialist
The Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE) is an intergovernmental organization with diplomatic status that aims to enable and increase the adoption of renewable energy and energy efficiency practices across Pan-Arab countries and is the official technical arm institution of both League of Arab State – Energy Department and Arab Ministerial Council for Electricity (AMCE).
RCREEE teams-up with governments, international organizations, IFIs and Private Sector via several forms of partnerships to initiate and lead clean energy policy dialogues, strategies, technologies, managing the facilitation of RE investment platforms and capacity development in order to increase Arab states’ share of tomorrow’s modern energy solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The senior environmental specialist will assist the implementation of Active Turbine Management Program (ATMP) and support RCREEE environmental portfolio. His/Her duties shall include:
- Support the implementation of the Active Turbine Management Program (ATMP)
- Prepare an ornithological opinion, assess on the importance of the area for bird migration, predict and assess of possible impacts on MSBs, recommend on an acceptable area for a wind farms and appropriate mitigation measures and present an adequate advise to engaged local experts.
- Supervise the teams and the subcontractors working on site which will require frequent site visits to Gulf of Suez area especially the wind farms sites.
- Handle and implement environmental and social impact assessment studies and projects.
- Provide and/or review the environmental and social due diligence and all relevant studies such as ESDD, EIA, ESIA, SESA, ESAP and ESMS.
- Provide technical support to RCREEE’s activities in environment & climate change related events, initiatives and partnerships and handles relevant reporting and briefings on RCREEE projects.
- Identify and describe existing and potential environmental constraints and risks that might affect the development and future operation of the energy related pre-under-post-construction projects in the area of Gulf of Suez and beyond.
- Provide policy support and technical guidance in Climate Change finance and its mechanisms and techniques (CDM, NAMA, etc) and keep RCREEE up to date with international agenda and initiatives regarding Environment & Climate Change and ensure the contribution of RCREEE.
- Provide technical advice to support RCREEE’s activities in environment & climate change related events, initiatives and partnerships and handles relevant reporting and briefings on RCREEE projects.
- Prepare ToRs of environmental consultants and/or firms to accomplish RCREEE’s environment projects.
- Fluency in Arabic and English (verbal and written).
- Strong analytical skills, oral and written communication and team building skills.
- Clear and effective communication that builds relationships in order to mediate common interests. Project management is plus.
- High level of computer proficiency (in particular PowerPoint and MS Word).
- Promotes teamwork and cooperation.
- Ability to work in international and multicultural environment.
- Demonstrative experience in preparing well structures technical reports.
- Excellent research, reports writing and documentation skills.
- Good interpersonal skills including good coordination and effective working relations with stakeholders.
- Minimum education level is a Degree from a well-recognised University in chemical engineering, environmental engineering or sciences or a related field is preferred.
- At least seven (7) years progressively responsible professional work experience in environmental projects.
- has strong knowledge of IFC/World Bank and EBRD Environmental and Social Directives, standards and guidelines.
- Strong Knowledge of NDCS, NAMA, CDM, and climate change and environment assessment, policies, finance, trends and mechanisms.
- The environmental senior specialist should be aware of different international climate change related agencies and communities such as UNFCCC, COPs…etc. Experience working in a similar organization in the fields of RE is preferred.
Tenure of Appointment
- This vacancy is open to Egyptian nationals. The initial appointment will be for 12 months including a 3-month probation period.
- The contract extension will be subject to performance, needs and availability of funds.
- RCREEE is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply;
- To apply please send CV and a cover letter highlighting relevant work experience to: [email protected] at the latest by October 13, 2020 with the subject line: "Senior Environmental Specialist”
Emails without subject line will be automatically discarded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.