Djibouti Becomes the 14th Arab State to Join RCREEE

Cairo, 11 May, 2014 - the Board of Trustees of the Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE) confirmed the membership of Djibouti, bringing the total number of RCREEE member states to 14.

Mr. Abass Aden Atteyeh, Advisor to Djiboutian Ministry of Energy, in charge of Natural Resources, was appointed as Djibouti representative to the Board of Trustees.

A delegation from RCREEE visited Djibouti from 24-25 May 2014, headed by the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Eng. Yassir Abdullah, and accompanied by the Executive Director Dr. Tareq Emtairah and Mrs. Amel Bida from the Secretariat to inaugurate Djibouti’s membership to RCREEE and put forward a plan for extending RCREEE services and support to Djibouti.

A series of meetings were organized with the Minister of Energy and Natural Resources, the Minister of High Education and Research, the General Director of the National Utility (Electricité De Djibouti -EDD) as well as with representatives of the Djiboutian Agency for Energy Conservation.

Speaking on behalf of the Secretariat, Dr. Tareq Emtairah, expressed full support to Djibouti with accessing the full range of support services provided by the Center and putting a fast track for engaging with the Ministry and the Agency in preparing its National Energy Efficiency Action Plan (NEEAP) and developing its policy to promote the private sector investment in the field of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency. 

 

About Djibouti:

Djibouti consumes around 70 % of its electricity from hydropower imported from Ethiopia through interconnected grids, while the remaining 30% are generated from 100 MW locally installed fuel generation capacity.

By 2020, the government is aiming to develop 100% of Djibouti electricity from solar, wind and mainly geothermal (50MW), where the potential is around 1000MW.

The Study and Research Center of Djibouti (CERD), working under the Ministry of High Education and Research established with Japanese cooperation through JICA, currently supports a 300kw PV project to provide electricity to its buildings and to sell the surplus production to the national grid.

 

About the Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE):

The Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE) is an independent not-for-profit regional organization that aims to enable and increase the adoption of renewable energy and energy efficiency practices in the Arab region. RCREEE teams with regional governments and global organization to initiate and lead clean energy policy dialogues, strategies, technologies and capacity development in order to increase Arab states’ share of tomorrow’s energy.

 

For more information about RCREEE, please visit www.rcreee.org