Call for candidates for the position of Environmental Expert
Position: Environmental Expert
Deadline: 10 July 2018
|Location: Cairo, Egypt||Duration: 12 months with posibility of renewal|
The Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE) is an intergovernmental organization with diplomatic status that aims to enable and increase the adoption of renewable energy and energy efficiency practices in the Arab region. RCREEE teams with regional governments and global organizations to initiate and lead clean energy policy dialogues, strategies, technologies and capacity development in order to increase Arab states’ share of tomorrow’s energy.
For information on RCREEE and its activities, please visit http://www.rcreee.org
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as an environmental expert & focal-point for technical and policy support, implementation & monitoring of the environmental portfolio of programs and/or projects
- Provide policy support and technical guidance in Climate Change finance and its mechanisms and techniques (CDM, NAMA, etc)
- Keep RCREEE up-to-date with international agenda and initiatives regarding Environment & Climate Change
- Identify key issues and updates of relevance to environment & climate change at the international level, and ensure the contribution of RCREEE involvement
- Handling, implement and supervise environmental and social impact assessment studies and projects
- Provide high-level technical advice to support RCREEE’s activities in environment & climate change related events, initiatives and partnerships and handles relevant reporting and briefings on RCREEE projects.
- Preparing ToRs for environmental consultants and/or firms to accomplish RCREEE’s Environment projects.
- Identify and describe existing and potential environmental constraints and risks that might affect the development and future operation of the energy related pre-under-post-construction projects and developed a plan for mitigating adverse impacts
- Analyze data on environmental conditions of the site and adjacent areas and evaluate field data and assess impact
- Prepare an ornithological expert opinion, assess on the importance of the area for bird migration, predict and assess of possible impacts on MSBs, recommend on an acceptable area for a wind farms and appropriate mitigation measures, advise local experts and site visits
- Supervise and/or Provide and/or review the environmental and social due diligence and all relevant studies such as ESDD, EIA, ESIA, SESA, ESAP and ESMS.
- Prepare of Inception Reports, Bi-Monthly Progress Reports, stakeholder engagement plan report and capacity building programs
Knowledge and experience:
- Master Degree in Environmental Sciences or a relevant background. PhD is plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environment or Energy relevant discipline.
- At least 6 years of professional experience in environment, climate change, sustainable energy, mitigation, etc.
- Knowledge in the:
- IFC/World Bank’s Environmental and Social Directives,
- Equator Principles’ Environmental & Social Standards,
- World Bank Group Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines,
- EBRD Performance Requirements,
- National legislation and standards issued by national responsible authorities in RCREEE member states.
- Strong Knowledge of NAMA, CDM, and climate change and environment assessment, policies, finance, trends and mechanisms
- The expert should be aware of different international climate change related agencies and communities such as UNFCCC, COPs…etc. Experience working in a similar organization in the fields of RE is preferred.
- Knowledge of RE&EE projects, socio-economic analyses, financial diligence, assessment of financial environmental models.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment of projects in the field of environment.
- Knowledge in regional energy and environmental profile of the Arab region is a plus.
- Knowledge about international agenda on sustainable development goals and its implications on the development progress worldwide.
Qualifications and skills:
- Fluency in Arabic and English (verbal and written).
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Clear and effective communication that builds relationships in order to mediate common interests. Project management is plus.
- High level of computer proficiency (in particular PowerPoint and MS Word).
- Promotes teamwork and cooperation.
General Terms and Conditions:
The Environmental Consultant is required to work from RCREEE’s Cairo office on a part time or full time basis upon the agreement between parties.
Tenure of Appointment
The initial appointment will be for 12 Months including a 3 months’ probation period.
Contract renewal is subject to performance, business needs and availability of funding.
RCREEE is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send the following to email@example.com with “Environmental Expert” as a subject line:
- Detailed CV
- Cover letter highlighting relevant work experience
Deadline: 10 July, 2018
Emails without a subject line will be automatically discarded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.